We take gastronomy seriously
The South-West is a unique region in terms of good food, wine and spirits and we take gastronomy very seriously at Saint-Martory.
In addition to selecting the best possible staff for lunches and dinners to be served at the property we can help organize unforgettable culinary day trips. We can guarantee that you will be well-received by the best producers of the region, including our Armagnac cousins in Lannepax!
We also have a very interesting selection of French wines in our cellar. Some of them are available for guests and the cave list changes every year depending on latest additions and the aging process of existing bottles. We will be glad to organize a wine tasting with the help of a local sommelier or even a special all-cheese dinner with a variety of wines and a blasting armagnac tasting to finish it all.
Close-by Gers is a beautiful region, with a very scenic countryside, and offers visitors an opportunity to discover (or re-discover) foie gras, Armagnac and the excellent wines of Madiran. As part of a day trip (minibus can be arranged) I recommend visiting:
- The great Madiran wine region. Stop by at the best local producer, the man who put South-West wines on the map about 20 years ago, Monsieur Alain Brumont. You will be welcomed with a tour of the vineyard and “chai”, as well as a wine tasting. Lunch at the vineyard is possible and highly recommended.
- The cities of Mirande, Auch, Vic Fezensac and/or Eauze.
- During this road trip, stop at Lannepax (close to Vic Fezensac) and say hello to the Delord, my “Gascon cousins” who have been producing Armagnac since the 19th century. They will show you around the “chai” … The phone number of the Armagnac Delord distillery is 05 62 06 36 07; ask for Jérôme.
Visitors willing to drive a little further away will be able to taste the gastronomy of the Pays Basque or Perigord, as well as the grapes of Minervois, Corbières, Mas Amiel, Cahors, etc.
Here are some local restaurants that you will certainly enjoy:
- Castet in Martres Tolosane (10 kms); try the “magret en croûte de sel”; 05 61 98 80 20; ask for Gilles or Françoise.
- Hotel Eychene in St. Girons (25 kms); try the “brochette gourmande” of duck hearts and foie gras; 05 61 04 04 50; ask for Mr. and Ms. Bordeau.
- Le Carré de l’Ange (20kms) in St Lizier, in a magnificent setting: 05 61 65 65 65
- Hostellerie des Cèdres in Villeneuve de Rivière (15 kms); 05 61 89 36 00; ask for Emmanuel and say you are staying at the château.
- In Toulouse, a must try: Michel Sarran; 05 61 12 32 32.
- Near Toulouse a new “two-star” Michelin: L’Amphitryon in Colomiers; 05 61 15 55 55.
All the rest
You can also ask for tips and suggestions at the “Office du Tourisme” of St Martory and visit the following sites for general info about our region: