Strategically located on the road to St Jacques of Compostelle, the region is charged with history. The chateaux Cathares, Saint Bertrand de Comminges abbatial, Foix castle and the numerous landmarks of Toulouse, to quote only a few, offer visitors a fantastic opportunity to discover French history and art.
Visits we highly recommend:
- A day tour of Toulouse’s main museums (including Les Abattoirs, the contemporary art venue).
- The Toulouse-Lautrec museum in Albi.
- The nearby Aurignac village and Palais des Evêques of “Allan”.
- A full-day tour using the small roads including the Foix citadelle, followed by one of the Chateaux Cathares (e.g. Montségur) ending in Medieval marvel “Carcassonne” and back by the highway.
- Abbaye de Bonnefont (interesting site located 3 kms away from the château).
- A walk around the St Lizier village close to St Girons.
- The magnificent abbatial of St Bertrand de Comminges (45 minutes away towards the Spanish Val d’Aran border).
All the rest
You can also ask for tips and suggestions at the “Office du Tourisme” of St Martory and visit the following sites for general info about our region: